Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Here's to the Scoutmasters

"Not all of us are going to be like Moroni, catching the acclaim of our colleagues all day everyday.  most of us will be quiet, relatively unknown folks who come and go and do our work without fanfare.  To those of you who may find that lonely or frightening or just unspectacular, I say, you are "no less serviceable"  than the most spectacular of your associates.  You, too, are part of God's army.
Consider, for example, the profound service a mother or father gives in the quiet anonymity of a worthy Latter-Day Saint home.  Think of the Gospel Doctrine teachers and Primary choristers and SCOUTMASTERS and Relief Society visiting teachers who serve and bless millions but whose names will never be publicly applauded or featured in the nation's media. "In the service of the Lord, it is not where you serve buy how.  In The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one takes the place to which one is duly called, which place one neither seeks nor declines.""
-President Howard W. Hunter
Tonight in Institute after reading this quote I kept thinking about my dad.  He was a scoutmaster for 10 years in my Home Ward.  He will most likely never be largely recognized for a lot of what he did.  I received a letter from Nick Crump shortly after his passing in which he said of my dad "Your dad will forever be in my memory as the brave, fearless, burly, but teddy bear-like scoutmaster who I have looked up to and loved.  I am honored to be one of his scouts.  And one of the 40+ kids to receive their Eagles through him!  Your Father will never be forgotten.  His memory, and legend will forever live on." If this is all the recognition my father ever receives is living on in memory and legend in these boys eyes then I know my dad would be happy and content with his life's work. Who are we to look for the gratification of the world? If I can touch on person in my lifetime I will be a very happy woman.  In the words of Ralph Waldo Emmerson "To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived- that is to have succeeded." I pray to remember this everyday, to magnify my callings whatever they may be.  To be like my dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment